T-Mobile was supposed to release Android OS 1.5 (originally code-named ‘Cupcake’) was supposed to be released the week of May 18th. However T-Mobile decided to delay the release.
Enter the Android community… Someone has found the downloadable version of Cupcake, signed and ready to install on the T-Mobile G1! And with a few simple steps, you can install it before the T-Mobile OTA (over-the-air) push.
Now, without any further ado – the following warning:
- Go download the Android 1.5 ‘Cupcake’ release here.
- Rename the downloaded file from signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip to update.zip and place it at the root i.e the very top directory of your Micro SD card. (If you added the file to your microSD card by connecting the handset to your computer via USB [rather than using a dedicated microSD card reader], make sure to unmount it and disconnect the USB cable now.
- Turn off your G1 Make sure it is completely powered off. Now again turn it on by holding the Home+End keys until you see T-Mobile G1 logo.
- From the icon screen, open the keyboard and hit Alt+L.
- Press Alt+S to begin the update. Remember, the update needs to be in the root of the Micro SD card and needs to be named update.zip.
- Once it finishes, follow the onscreen instructions and press Home+Back to finish.
- G1 Phone will reboot a few times to flash different parts of the firmware.
If all went well, you should now be running Android Release 1.5 on your T-Mobile G1…!
And, yes.. I installed it using the above steps.. and it’s working great..!